What You Need to Know:|
• Pigsticks and Harold is a hilarious adventure story for young readers.
• This volume is a good stepping-stone for readers who are leaving learn-to-read volumes and starting to tackle early
• While there is not a lot of text on every page, the sophisticated vocabulary and continuity of the story are more akin
to chapter books.
• The second Pigsticks and Harold adventure is set to be published November, 2014, with book three and four to follow
Pigsticks is a frustrated explorer from a long line of noble pig explorers. Pigsticks is getting antsy and has decided it's time to finally get out there and do what he was born to do: travel to the Ends of the Earth. Pigsticks posts an ad in the local shop looking for an assistant for his journey. This leads to an afternoon of funny interviews where the reader meets an array of characters from town. Alas, Pigsticks is not satifed with any of the candidates. However, when Harold (the hamster) shows up to deliver a package, Pigsticks hires him on the spot. When Harold tries to explain he wasn't applying for the job and was just delivering a package, Pigsticks will have none of it. The adventure that ensues will keep your reader engaged and laughing. And you, too, if it's a read aloud!
2014, 84 pages
Excellent Read-Aloud, Friendship, Humor
• Who do you have more in common with: Pigsticks or Harold? Why?
• Are you more like one of the characters from Tuptown? Which one?
• Do you think Harold should have spoken up to Pigsticks when he was roped into the adventure mistakenly? Why or
• Can you imagine another adventure for Pigstick and Harold? What would it be?
This recommendation was written by: