What You Need to Know:|
• This Is a Moose is laugh out loud funny.
• This story will appeal to a vast age range, due to the clever nature of the story: very young readers and their older
siblings can read it together.
• This is one of those books adults won't mind reading over and over again.
• The set-up of this book is original, with text bubbles and terrific illustrations, adding to the enjoyment.
This is a Moose is hilarious. It's a story of a moose who has big, big dreams. He dreams of being an astronaut. Problem is, he is filming a movie about the life of a moose. His director is exasperated that he is not acting like a proper moose. The director would like to see the moose drink from the lake, eat leaves - do moose things. Moose are not astronauts, they are not lacrosse goalies and they aren't friends with giraffes! When the director reaches his boiling point, he takes a look around and realizes something: not everyone needs to do what is expected of them, including the director, who is a duck!
This is a Moose will make kids laugh and will provide some comfort to kids who are feeling like they don't "fit the mold". I also think it will provide an empathetic view for all kids, maybe it's ok if your friend wants to "color outside the lines".
Richard T. Morris
2014, 48 pages
Excellent Read-Aloud, Friendship, Humor, Adventure, Exquisite Illustrations, Individuality
• How do you think a moose should behave?
• Do you think you should always do what is expected of you? Why or why not?
• When it is appropriate to do what is expected of you and when is it appropriate to do what you want to do?
• Can you imagine another plot line: another animal doing something unexpected?
This recommendation was written by: