What You Need to Know:|
• Little Hoot is a hilarious picture book for young readers, with the wonderful caveat that older readers and adults will enjoy the humor and the illustrations just as much as the intended-for young audience.
• This picture book would make a great read aloud for all ages.
• We are huge Amy Krouse Rosenthal fans. Krouse Rosenthal brings a very keen eye for observation and a wholly original voice to whatever book she is writing, whether for adults or children.
• Corace's pictures are delicious. Little Hoot is the cutest owl in all of children's literature.
• Adults reader shouldn't miss her very funny adult book, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life. You will be howling with laughter, especially if you grew up in the 70s.
• Krouse Rosenthal has many, many books for children, to say she is prolific is an understatement. Just talking about the "Little" books, there are three all together: Little Pea, Little Hoot and Little Oink, all with the same "opposite" premise.
Little Hoot is a story about a happy little owl whose only complaint is he just wants his parents to let him go to bed earlier. Being the studious owl Little Hoot is, he doesn't mind practicing his pondering, he doesn't mind practicing his staring, but he does mind his late bedtime. Little Hoot just wishes he could go to bed early, like all his other friends. The comedy for the child (and the adult!) reader will be in the role reversal. When Little Hoot tries to go to bed early, and complains to his parents that all his other friends get to go to bed earlier, Papa Owl says, "...I don't give a hoot what time your friends go to bed. In this family, we go to bed late. Rules of the roost."
This is funny stuff. Combine the witty struggle with Jen Corace's adorable illustrations, and you just want to eat this cute owl right up. Little Hoot, and his backwards struggle with his parents, will have your children giggling all the way through. If you appreciate Rosenthal's dry and witty humor, you won't be disappointed by any of her books.
Amy Krouse Rosenthal
2008, 36 pages
Excellent Read-Aloud, Humor, Family Life, Bedtime, Exquisite Illustrations, Animals-Owls