|Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute (series #1)
|What You Need to Know:
• The new Lunch Lady series is a very welcome addition to the (somewhat lacking) category of graphic novel for the
• Graphic novels are a great way for a reluctant reader to have a fun and relaxing reading experience, though all
kinds of readers will enjoy this new series.
• Kids will be as tickled by the Lunch Lady series as with the Captain Underpants series, without all the potty talk (if
that sort of thing bothers you).
• Kids will eat this story up, especially boys, is my prediction.
• As of 2/10, there are three books in the series published, with #4 coming in 5/10.
• In 6/09, Lunch Lady was optioned by Universal and Amy Poehler set to star, according to the author's blog.
|Sweet Series Background:
The Lunch Lady series is an inventive new graphic novel for the younger set (Reader, Jr.) It is a clever telling of what happens in the school kitchen with the lunch ladies when the students aren't looking. Apparently the Lunch Ladies serve justice while they are serving sloppy joes! The lunch ladies have lots of evil plots to foil. The humor is very clever, lots of "Sweet Peas and Carrots!" and "Holy Guacamole!". Some of the tools Lunch Lady and her sidekick, Betty, use to fight crime are the spat-u-copter - a spatula that can help you fly, Cannoli-oculars, Spork-phone and Milk-Cam to name a few. Krosoczka has a witty way of describing the school environment and all the different characters that will have you enjoying it as well as your child, should you read it together.
|Sweet Book Summary:
Lunch Lady notices on her Milk-Cam that something is not quite right with the substitute who has been hired to replace the kids favorite teacher, Mr. O'Connell, and she is determined to get to the bottom of it. At the same time the Breakfast Bunch, Hector, Dee and Terrence, are wondering what it is the Lunch Ladies do in their down-time. When Lunch Lady leaves after school to follow Mr. Pasteur, the shady substitiute teacher, the kids follow to see what she is up to. Everyone gets the surprise of a lifetime when they realize Mr. Edison, another teacher, has created a cyborg substitute to usurp Mr. O'Connell's student-favorite status, and his oft awarded Teacher of the Year award. With the unexpected help of the Breakfast Bunch and her sidekick Betty, Lunch Lady restores order!
|Author: Jared J. Krosoczka Illustrator: Jared J. Krosoczka Published: 2009, 96 pages
Themes: Graphic Novel, Humor, Adventure, Mystery, Books for Boys