Free Throw: A Jake Maddox Sports Story
What You Need to Know:|
• Early or struggling readers looking for a basketball story will get exactly that, though not much more with this book.
• The entire book takes place on the basketball court and he majority is play by play of the games.
• A few players are introduced by name and position but other than that, little information is given about the
characters and the setting.
• Don’t forget to look at the cool basketball facts and discussion questions at the end.
• The comic book style illustrations provide an appealing imagery for the story.
Sweet Series Background:|
Jake Maddox is a pen name. The series is written by several authors including Anastasia Suen who wrote six of the titles including Free Throw. The books target grades 4 through 8 but are written at a level somewhat junior to that. Sports are the main focus of the series.
Basketball player, Derek Phelps can’t wait for the season to start. He’s taller than he was last year so the coach is going to make him the center this year. Unfortunately, Jason, who was the center last year, is not thrilled with this decision. He shows some poor sportsmanship, refusing to pass to Derek and giving him a hard time for every mistake he makes. He has plenty of chances too because Derek can’t seem to make his free throws. The coach has a minor role and doesn’t help much with the player rivalry. Derek practices hard, though and is determined to do better.
2006, 72 pages
Books for Boys, Character/values, Sports, Teamwork