Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa, Horse in the House
What You Need to Know:|
• Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa is a funny series about a little girl Kate and her horse, Cocoa, and their life on the farm.
• I believe this is the 5th title in the series, but as this is the first book I have read, there is no series synopsis yet.
• Kate and Cocoa have a funny way of interacting, making this an enjoyable read aloud.
• Cocoa often repeats what Kate says, making this an ideal book for a shared reading with a new reader. If you were
to alternate lines, it would give the new reader the added benefit of repeating what you've just read, if they are
unsure, thus building reading confidence.
• This book has been nomintated for a 2009 Cybil Award. Please click the Cybils link on the left side of the page to
learn more about the Children's and Young Adult Bloggers Literary Awards (Cybils).
Kate wakes up to Cocoa, her horse, in her bedroom. When Cocoa sees that Kate's stall (bedroom) is too small, he decides a house tour is in order. Kate has a hard time convincing him that the barn is where Cocoa belongs. But Cocoa must see for himself. There are many humorous exchanges between Cocoa and Kate. To paraphrase: Cocoa: Where's the hay? Kate: I don't have any hay in my house...you know that. Have you ever seen hay when you looked in my window? Cocoa: No, I just thought you were hiding it. Kids will find the whole idea of a talking horse in the house amusing enough, but the banter back and forth will delight them as well. The illustrations have a cool, vintage feel as well. Kind of like the 50's idea of cowboys, but that may be lost on the kids, but I enjoyed it.
2009, 38 pages
Animals, Humor, Excellent Read-Aloud, Adventure, Friendship