Mr. Putter and Tabby Spill the Beans
What You Need to Know:|
• Mr. Putty and his cat, Tabby, have many adventures with their neighbor, Mrs. Teaberry and her dog, Zeke.
• This is one of many in a series, but as this is the first book I have read, there is no series synopsis yet.
• The story is quite funny in both a slapstick kind of way (the plot) and a wry and ironic way when listening to the inner
most thoughts of Mr. Putter.
• The author, Cynthia Rylant, is quite prolific. She is the author of the Henry and Mudge series, among many others.
She "gets" children's literature and knows what kids will enjoy.
• This book has been nomintated for a 2009 Cybil Award. Please click the Cybils link on the left side of the page to
learn more about the Children's and Young Adult Bloggers Literary Awards (Cybils).
Mr. Putter and his cat Tabby and his neighbor Mrs. Teaberry and her dog Zeke are great friends and love trying new things together. Most of the time, their new adventures work out. So, even though Mr. Putter would rather be enjoying an ice cream soda, he agrees to go to a cooking class with Mrs. Teaberry. In this cooking class, they have been promised they will learn to cook beans 100 different ways. Mr. Putter is not sure that sounds like a whole lot of fun, but he will trust Mrs. Teaberry. As it turns out, Zeke doesn't have the patience for 100 recipes, beans or no beans. So around bean recipe number seven, things get interesting. "It's amazing where beans can land once they start flying!"
2009, 44 pages
Animals, Humor, Excellent Read-Aloud, Exquisite Illustrations, Friendship