What You Need to Know:|
• The Magic Half is a terrific read, for young reader and old.
• I couldn't put this book down, the story really grabs you,
• There is time travel, present day back to the depression era. The mild concerns refer to Molly's lot in life in 1935. All
is not rosy for her, so if you child is a worrier, be aware.
• The goose-bump rating is also referring to Molly's situation. Molly has a cousin who terrorizes her.
So, again, just a warning.
• This book makes a wonderful book club selection for parent/child book clubs.
The Magic Half is the story of Miri and Molly. Miri has recently moved into an old house in present day California with her "one in eight million" family. What makes them one in eight million is they have two sets of twins and Miri is not one of the them. Miri falls right between them in birth order. Talk about middle child syndrome! One afternoon, while Miri is sulking away in a time out in her room for lashing out at one of her siblings, she spots a lens to a pair of old eyeglasses taped to baseboard. When she looks through the lens, she is transported back to 1935. In 1935, this same bedroom belonged to Molly. Miri and Molly meet.
Molly isn't surprised to find Miri in her room. She knew her grandmother, who was magical, would send someone or something to save her from the rather dismal experience that is her life in depression-era 1935. Molly's mom has died and her dad has taken off. Molly is currently living with Grandma, who is bedridden and can't talk, and her aunt and two cousins. The aunt and two cousins make Cinderella's step-mom and sisters look really friendly.
Molly and Miri find a way for Molly to escape her rotten circumstances. I won't say what, because I wouldn't want to spoil the ending for those who might want to read it along with their little readers (its worth it!). But I will say it does all resolve safely. Ok, just a small hint - I wonder what the odds are for 3 sets of twins in one family!:)
2007, 224 pages
Feelings, Character/Values, Good Book Club Selection, Life-Challenges, Friendship
This recommendation was written by: