Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten
What You Need to Know:|
• This is a simply delightful book about individuality.
• This would make a terrific first day of school book, but it would be a shame to limit it to only that time of year.
• Its message of identity is important any time of year.
• The illustrations are so charming, who knew a buffalo could be so appealing?
"Some people say kindergarten is no place for a buffalo. How crazy is that?"
So begins this entertaining story about how we all have our own special place in this world - horn or no horns. How great is that message? The brilliance of this picture book is that it is a hilarious and appropriate lesson in identity without being preachy. Children will delight in all the paces this buffalo is put through as a new kindergartener. Will your buffalo be able to use scissors? Will your buffalo be able to go on the swings? Maybe - maybe not. But no matter what, "Everyone is special in his or her own way."
Again, this is a perfect story for the first day, but don't leave it for only that day. This book can be enjoyed any time of year for pure pleasure or if your classroom or home community is in need of a little lesson in tolerance.
2010, 32 pages
Animals, School, Feelings, Individuality, Self-Awareness/Discovery, Identity, Tolerance
• What would you do if someone told you, you don't belong?
• Is it ok to form clubs that only include some kids and not others?
• Would you be sad if you couldn't join a club because of the color of your eyes?
This recommendation was written by: