Stand Up for Yourself & Your Friends
What You Need to Know:|
• Published by American Girl, this book offers great tools to empower girls.
• Readers can get through this quickly but glean plenty of pertinent information.
• Definitely a good book to keep on your bookshelf.
• In addition to bullying, readers will find tips on how to be a good friend.
• Includes quizzes that will engage readers and help them figure out where they stand on different subjects.
Stand Up for Yourself is a great resource for girls dealing with bullying, bossiness or friendship issues. Actually, even if they aren’t dealing with it themselves, this book may make them more comfortable standing up for a friend who is facing these problems. It is well-organized, beginning with an explanation of bullying and then moving on to cover what a bully looks like and why they behave the way they do. From there, it offers some problem solving techniques like how to ignore a situation, how to speak up and how to get support when needed. It also offers clever comebacks, tips on being strong and most importantly, lets girls know that they are not alone. Understanding friendships and how they can change is covered toward the end. There are a few quizzes that may help readers to get to know themselves a little better. There are also some examples of real-life scenarios about how other girls have handled themselves in those circumstances. Each topic is clearly marked by a large heading so readers can turn to the pages that address their individual concerns if they don't want to read the whole thing cover to cover. In fact, the overall design, from the size, shape, font, colors, layout and illustrations, all result in a straightforward and manageable book. Whether you read this one with your child or let them check it out on their own, it should provide them with some new concepts or at least reinforce old strategies and help to generate an open dialogue where they can feel more comfortable discussing this subject.
Patti Kelley Criswell
2009, 64 pages
Behavior, Bullying, Feelings, Friendship, Growing Up, Life Skills, Non-Fiction
• Have you ever felt that you were being bullied?
• What are some good strategies to deal with a bully?
• How can you stop a bully from behaving the way he or she does?
• What are some qualities of a good friend?
• How do you know when to seek an adult’s help?
• How are cell phones and computers used to bully other kids?
• Does it help if parents or teachers get involved?
• What can parents and teachers do to help?
This recommendation was written by: