What You Need to Know:|
• This is a cheeky little picture book that celebrates reading and defends it from the encroaching digital world.
• Terrifically minimal and funny illustrations.
• This may be one picture book that the adults will get more of a kick out of than the kids.
• It would make a very good gift for anyone involved in the book industry (publishers, authors, etc.).
Those of us in the book industry LOVE this book. It's clever, it's sassy and sends a great message to society to not let the book industry die. It's also a terrific book for kids growing up in this new digital habitat. Let's face it - our children are the digital natives and we are just immigrants in this new digital world (I am stealing that idea from the name of a talk our school district held - it made a big impression on me).
This book also has an element of naughty that will delight our little friends who want to practice saying a naughty word. The book goes like this: Monkey is engrossed in a book and his friend donkey (Jackass) can't figure out what you do with a book. The donkey asks "Does it text?" "Do you scroll down?" "Do you blog with it?" Monkey gets exasperated until finally donkey understands what to do with a book. He gets very involved reading it, so much so, that almost a whole day passes as he reads, and then donkey won't give the book back to the monkey. The book wins! There is also a very amusing mouse in the story, but I will leave that detail to surprise you when you read this delightful book.
2010, 32 pages
Excellent Read-Aloud, Humor, Animals, Books and Reading
• What is your favorite book and why?
• What is different about reading a book and playing a video game?
• Which is cozier: reading a book with you parents or playing on the computer?
• Can you curl up with a digital device?
This recommendation was written by: