Ballpark Mysteries: The Fenway Foul-up (series #1)
What You Need to Know:|
• Ballpark Mysteries are a great addition to the early chapter books currently out there.
• Author David A. Kelly is definitely filling a need for more sports books for newly independent readers.
• Mysteries set in sports venues make a combo guaranteed to work for young boys and sports-oriented girls.
Sweet Series Background:|
Ballpark Mysteries is a welcome addition to the early chapter book scene. The series is pretty self-explanatory: mysteries set inside ballparks. Each volume is a different stadium. The writing is simple and direct, which is necesssary for emerging readers. The likable characters are developed just enough for new readers to enjoy them. The main characters are Mike Walsh and Kate Hopkins, cousins from Cooperstown, NY. No doubt, one book in this series may be set close to their home. Baseball Hall of Fame anyone? Kate's mom is a sports reporter for the American Sportz website which requires her to travel to all the different stadiums. The first two books in the series have been published, with a third due in July 2011.
Kate Hopkins and Mike Walsh have accompanied Kate's mom to Fenway Park for a Boston Red Sox game against the Oakland A's. During batting practice, Big D's lucky bat goes missing. Big D is the Red Sox's biggest hitter, but without his lucky bat he can't do much. After some great detecting, Kate and Mike save the day when they locate the missing bat.
The writing is simple and so is the story. Young sports fans will eat this up. This book will be a grand slam for Boston fans, but general sports fans will enjoy it as well, using this one to whet their appetite until Kelly gets around to setting a story in their favorite team's stadium. The second book, already published, is set in Yankee Stadium and the third in Los Angeles Dodger Stadium.
David A. Kelly
2011, 112 pages
Books for Boys, Humor, Sports, Mystery
• What would you do if you noticed something missing?
• Have you ever solved a mystery? How?
• What is your favorite baseball team?
• Which character would you like to be?
• What American ballparks have you visited?
• Do you like baseball? Which is your favorite position?
• What is your favorite sport? Why?
This recommendation was written by: