What You Need to Know:|
• This is a love story disguised as a book.
• This a beautiful ode to children. Share it with the children in your life to let them know they are well-loved and
well-supported in all they do.
• This would make a lovely gift for your child, grandchild, godchild, etc, on the occasion of their birth or any milestone
in the early years.
Nancy Tillman's Wherever You Are is so much more than a book. It is a poem, a love song and a love letter from adult to child. Tillman's self-described mission is "to convey to children everywhere that they are loved." That is just what she did with this lovely picture book. The story of this book is simple, you are loved; no matter where you go, my love will follow. Each spread contains a sentiment like that, alongside an exquisite illustration of a young child with a different animal.
This is the type of book that is meant to be read together while cuddling, letting the children in your life know just how much they are cherished. There is a whole genre of books like this and they are so important. These books accomplish so many things. For instance, they give you loving time with your little one. They also allow young children to be comforted, which is just lovely in general, while also associating many warm feelings with the act of reading. Stories like these allow children to refer back to them as they age, and remember simple times in the warmth of your embrace. Sentimental? You bet! But not cloyingly so.
2010, 32 pages
Excellent Read-Aloud, Extraordinary Language, Exquisite Illustrations, Rhyming Language
• How does this book make you feel?
• Who does this book make you think of in your life?
• Why do you think the author used all the different animals in this story?
• The illustrations are so beautiful, which is your favorite?
This recommendation was written by: