Scaredy Squirrel Has a Birthday Party
What You Need to Know:|
• Melanie Watt has created an endearing and appealing (take a look at the cover!) character in Scaredy that both
adults and children will love.
• This picture book would make a great read-aloud for all ages.
• This is a perfect story for an apprehensive child. It is reassuring in its
message that new experiences don't
always turn out to be so bad,
no matter how much we fear them.
The Scaredy Squirrel books are about a charming little squirrel who would rather stay in his safe, sometimes boring, tree than brave the elements. Scaredy is quite neurotic and very hilarious. In past books, Scaredy has learned to leave the safety of his nut tree, he's gone to the beach, he has braved his fear of the dark and he's even made a new friend. In this latest installment, he is going to throw himself a birthday party. No guests of course, that would be too dangerous. But then Scaredy receives a birthday card from his friend Buddy the Dog. Touched by Buddy's thoughtfulness, Scaredy decides to throw caution to the wind and invite Buddy to join his party of one. But Buddy comes with all his puppy friends, and don't you know, all the careful considerations Scaredy spent hours planning, go out the window. After he gets over the initial shock, Scaredy has a great time at his party and immediately starts planning next year's celebration. Author Melanie Watt has created a gem of a character in Scaredy Squirrel. If you or your child hasn't met Scaredy yet, lucky you! You have five hilarious books to look forward to (see below for the rest of the titles).
2011, 32 pages
Excellent Read-Aloud, Humor, Overcoming Fears, Animals-Squirrels, Self-Awareness/Discovery
• Does anything scare you? What? Why?
• How do you handle and overcome your fears?
• Where is your safe place when things get a little scary?
• What kind of birthday parties do you like to have?
This recommendation was written by: