Never Babysit the Hippopotamuses
What You Need to Know:|
• A fun book to read before bed.
• Read it out loud and your listeners will soon join in.
• Illustrator, Abby Carter, is also the creative hand behind the popular Andy Shane series.
• Although not always available directly from Amazon, there are links to other sellers that carry this book or pick
it up at your local store.
The unexpected idea of babysitting for hippopotamuses is enough to elicit a smile but when these crazy hippos get going, their wild antics will leave readers giggling. The repetition of the “never babysit the hippopotamuses” phrase will encourage listeners to join in as the hippos get increasingly difficult to control. They’re big, they love to wrestle and they do cannonballs into the bathtub. The only thing worse than babysitting for these guys, is the MONKEYS next door. The watercolor illustrations are colorful and lively, perfectly matching the hippos’ behavior. The chaos is seen from different angles, and the hippos often look larger than life. The center spread, with color filling the pages, shows the babysitter’s attempt at brushing the hippos’ teeth - while standing on a stool. Notice the “Moose” on the shelf next to the “listerhino” and “purr fume.” Have fun with this one!
1997, 32 pages
Animals, Behavior, Humor
• What kind of animal would you like to babysit?
• Why would the monkeys be harder to watch than the hippopotamuses?
• How do you behave when you have a babysitter? Are you like the hippos?
• Do you have a favorite babysitter? What makes that person so special?
This recommendation was written by: