Joe and Sparky: Superstars
What You Need to Know:|
• Sparky and Joe are funny characters. They are friends who have very different personalities.
• The friendship between these two characters is mutually caring and respectful.
• This story has a modern plot referencing reality TV.
• This Learn to Read chapter book has a continuous story line; thus preparing your reader to retain stories in
longer books to come.
Joe the giraffe and Sparky the turtle are best friends living at the zoo, but they couldn't be more different. Joe loves to run and take chances and Sparky is often bellowing, "Safety first!", and waxing on about the need for helmets. One day, on a walk around their cageless zoo, Joe and Sparky spy tiny people through the office window running a talent show. The little people are requesting the next talented pair to come in and audition to be part of the show. What Joe and Sparky are really seeing is a television show broadcasting a reality talent program. Joe insists they try out as pair! They must have talents to share! While Joe thinks he has talent to spare, Sparky is sure he hasn't a talented bone in his turtle body. After a few failed but humorous attempts to locate a talent for Sparky, the pair figures it out. But when they go back to the window to find the little people, they are gone! (TV is turned off) Will their talents go to waste?
Kids will enjoy the humor in this story of two supportive friends. Despite their differences, Joe and Sparky go outside their comfort zones to help each other. This is a very solid addition to the Learn to Read genre.
2011, 48 pages
Excellent Read-Aloud, Friendship, Humor, Animals
• How are you and your friends alike?
• How are you and your friends different?
• Have you ever done something for a friend, that was hard to do? What did you do and why was it hard?
• Do you have a talent? What is it?
• If you were in a talent show, what would you do?
• Why do you think a talent show would be fun? Why not?
• Do you think a turtle and a giraffe could really be in a talent show?
• Do you like stories about animals that do things like humans do? Why?
This recommendation was written by:
© 2009 HoneyBee Partners, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Website Designed & Developed by