|What You Need to Know:
• Hot Rod Hamster is a rockin' good time for little ones.
• This spunky hamster is brave, funny and cute to boot.
• The language is rhyming and interactive.
• Whenever Hot Rod Hamster has to make a decision about his car, the authors ask the readers to decide also,
by posing the question, "What would you choose?".
• This book is up for a Children's Choice Book Award, go here to vote.
|Sweet Book Summary:
Hot Rod Hamster is a very entertaining read-aloud for younger readers who love all things cars and who like to interact with the stories they listen to. Our protagaonist, Hamster, decides he is going to race at the Four Paws Speedway, against all dogs, in much bigger cars! He enlists the help of a jolly bulldog, who helps him build a hot rod. Hamster's only requirement is that it be fast, because all the hamster is interested in is squealing tires and burning rubber. When the day of the race comes the other dogs laugh at the little hamster as he lines up to take off. Our hamster pays them no mind, and don't you know? He wins the race!
This little hamster has lots of guts. This is a perfect read aloud for squirmy little readers who like to be "involved" in the story. It's just a bonus that this little hamster is a great big role model of courage.
|Author: Cynthia Lord Illustrator: Derek Anderson Published: 2010, 40 pages
Themes: Excellent Read-Aloud, Exquisite Illustrations, Humor, Rhyming Language, Cars, Determination, Books for Boys
|Sweet Discussion Questions:
• What would your hot rod look like?
• Can you draw it?
• What is your favorite color?
• Why do you think the dogs laughed at Hamster? Was it a nice thing to do? Would you have laughed? Why/Why not?
• Do you think this little hamster is brave to race all those big dogs? Why?
• What have you been brave about lately?
|This recommendation was written by: Melissa Y.
|Support Independent Book Shops: Click Here to Buy this Book on IndieBound