What You Need to Know:|
• Shark vs. Train is a funny, good time of a book.
• Shark and Train engage in all manner of contests to see who is mightier.
• This would be a great, funny book to read-aloud in a group or individual setting.
• This book is up for a Children's Choice Book Award, go here to vote.
Shark vs. Train is an entertaining tale about what happens when one young boy finds a toy shark in the toy box and another young boy finds a toy train. This begins a battle royale with a series of amusing face-offs. Who will win in the ocean? Shark, of course. Who will win on the railroad tracks? Another predictable one. But the fun begins when author Chris Barton's inquiries start to get more unusual: who will run a better lemonade stand? Apparently Train, because Shark can't compete with a lemonade tank! And how about Trick or Treating, who will triumph in that activity? Clearly Shark will and he doesn't even need much of a costume to scare all the treats right out of the bowl and into his bag.
This amusing book will delight young children. The humor is sophisticated and clever enough to entertain both parent and child. It's a celebration of imagination. The illustrations are terrific, as well. Adults reading this book: take a look at the spread of the shark trying to jump the cars, one actually has the words A. Fonzarelli Leather Co. on it. What a funny take on the Happy Days "Jump the Shark" episode!
2010, 40 pages
Excellent Read-Aloud, Exquisite Illustrations, Humor
• What other battles could you put Shark and Train in? Can you think of really wacky ones?
• Who were you rooting for?
• Which was your favorite battle?
• Can you think of two other characters for your own story? Who vs. whom?
• What are some of the contests you would put them in?
This recommendation was written by: