|Daisy Dawson at the Beach (series #4)
|What You Need to Know:
• Daisy Dawson is a recent and terrific addition to the early chapter book category of children's literature.
• We have placed Daisy Dawson in our READER JR reading level, a safe place for newly independent readers. However,
it does have some sophisticated vocabulary, so do check in with your young reader.
• This Daisy Dawson is the fourth in a series. You will notice no series synopsis in this review, however, because the
books can really be read in any order. If that changes as the series grows, we will update.
• Little girls will have a good role model in Daisy, who is brave, kind and spunky.
|Sweet Book Summary:
I really love this early chapter book series. Steve Voake has created something very special in Daisy Dawson. It is a chapter book for young readers that has terrific character development, a well designed plot, enriching vocabulary, and story elements that teach kindness and friendship. All of this is very rare indeed in "early" chapter books. This series is the quintessential example of not dumbing things down for children and expecting more of your reader.
As in all of the Daisy Dawson adventures, Daisy's special talent is that she can communicate with all the animals around her. In this latest installment, Daisy takes her show on the road. Daisy and her family head off to the beach for a vacation; Daisy communicates with lots of new animals, birds and fish. Daisy meets two baby rabbits that are avid surfing pupils. She also meets Pinchy the crab who teaches her she has a rhythm all her own; she just needs to listen to it. Finally, she meets a troubled dolphin caught in an old fishermans net. Daisy orchestrates a rescue. Those pincers on crabs come in quite handy. Luckily, the dolphin rescues her and the baby rabbits right back!
Voake does a masterful job bringing out the wonders and magic of the seaside, making us all ready for the upcoming beach season! I really like the gentle nature of these stories. I especially appreciate the importance Voake puts on friendship and kindness to your neighbor and nature. Any child listening to or reading this story, will learn a thing or two about loyalty, friendship and doing the right thing, which makes the narrative even better. Your young reader will be held captive by the suspense in this story and the illustrations will figure prominently adding another marvelous dimension.
|Author: Steve Voake Illustrator: Jessica Meserve Published: 2011, 87 pages
Themes: Extraordinary Language, Humor, Exquisite Illustrations, Animals, Adventure, Individuality
|Sweet Discussion Questions:
• How have you helped a friend?
• Do you like to go to the beach? What beach do you visit?
• What do you find magical at the beach?
• If you could talk to any animal, which would it be?
• What do you think that animal would have to say?
|This recommendation was written by: Melissa Y.
|Support Independent Book Shops: Click Here to Buy this Book on IndieBound