Patrick in a Teddy Bear's Picnic
What You Need to Know:|
• A graphic novel for the youngest reader.
• A sweet, funny little story guaranteed to hold your young child's interest.
• Patrick is a spunky little character who will have your child laughing all the way through.
• This book deals with bullying in a very age-approrpiate way. It's a good introduction to a complex issue
for young readers.
Patrick in a Teddy Bear's Picnic and Other Stories is a cute, little bear who has many adventures with his mom. Most of his day is spent avoiding his nap, and Big Bear, the bully. It's a little bit of a dichotomy, bullying and napping, but why quibble? Patrick is energetic and comically gets into some misadventures. Children will be very entertained as he finds puddles to jump in, little boats to sail and good hiding spots during Hide and Seek. Patrick's last adventure, to go and get some cookies at the store, will have young readers cheering as he outsmarts Big Bear and makes sure Big Bear doesn't bother anyone again!
These stories are lively and funny and are sure to keep the squirmiest little readers still. I like the graphic aspect of these stories for pre-readers, because they look at the book and follow the story without having to read any words. It provides a nice independent reading experience even before they can read.
Click here to take a look at the Toon Books website: there is lots of fun stuff for young children to do including making their own comic strip.
2011, 32 pages
Graphic Novel, Humor, Siblings, Behavior, Friendship, Bullying
• What is your favorite game to play with a parent?
• Do you know anyone like Big Bear? Is it someone who is mean to others? In what way is this person mean?
• How do you react when someone is being unfair or mean?
• Do you remember when you used to take naps? Do you wish you could still nap or do you? Why is a nap good/bad for you?
This recommendation was written by: