|What You Need to Know:
• This imaginative little story will delight any reader that has often wondered what the family pet does all day.
• When Martha's Away is also one of those lovely books that keeps the adult reader entranced with it's clever humor.
• It looks like this is a reissue by Candlewick. It was originally published in 1995.
|Sweet Book Summary:
If you or your young reader has ever wondered if "when the cat's away, the mice will play", then you must read this book! While Martha is away, Lionel the cat lives a very full life. In true Tom and Jerry style (minus the violence!), Lionel reads the paper, exercises, receives guests, paints, listens to the radio and thoroughly enjoys himself doing what he pleases. He regales guests, from near and far, with his concert piano playing; he is quite the cultured cat. And when he hears the gate open, he dashes to the couch and assumes the supine position of cats across the world, thus keeping up the front that cats never do much of anything.
I love the imagination at play here. It will delight young readers. There is also enough tongue in cheek humor to keep the most put-upon story teller entranced! The illustrations are terrific as well. This story made me want to jump right into the pages and join Lionel for a lovely day at Martha's house. This book is also a great starting point for plenty of games of imagination imagination games between you and your reader.
|Author: Bruce Ingman Illustrator: Bruce Ingman Published: 2011, 32 pages
Themes: Excellent Read-Aloud, Exquisite Illustrations, Humor, Imagination
|Sweet Discussion Questions:
• Do you ever wonder about any creature's secret life?
• Which creature do you wonder about?
• How would the story go that you make up for them?
• Do you wonder about the lives of indoor pets or animals in the wild? Or both?
|This recommendation was written by: Melissa Y.
|Support Independent Book Shops: Click Here to Buy this Book on IndieBound