The World Champion of Staying Awake
What You Need to Know:|
• The World Champion of Staying Awake is a lovely and imaginative bedtime book.
• Taylor has included vignettes that create stories within the story, making for a rich, multi-layered read.
• Liao illustrations are positively charming.
Stella's dad calls out that it is time for bed. Stella takes one look at her brood of stuffed animals and realizes Cherry Pig, Thunderbolt (her puppet mouse), and Beanbag Frog aren't at all tired. They have even created a competition to see who will be the World Champion of Staying Awake. Stella realizes she will need to get creative. Stella gets busy and imagines a languorous ship ride for Cherry Pig, a dreamy train ride for Thunderbolt, and she takes Beanbag Frog on a lazy hot air balloon fantasy. Before long, each stuffed friend is fast asleep. In each imaginative vignette there is soothing, rhyming prose, accompanied by an enchantingly illustrated spread.
Every sleep-deprived parent out there will relate to this tale. Additionally, children will relate to the role-reversal of Stella, the child, having to put the animals to bed. Perhaps young readers will even have mercy on their own tired parents! Either way, it is a winning read at any time of the day, but especially, at bedtime.
2011, 32 pages
Excellent Read-Aloud, Exquisite Illustrations, Humor, Imagination, Bedtime
• Do you fall asleep easily? Do you ever dream? What do you dream about?
• What is your bedtime routine?
• What do you do if you can't fall asleep?
• Do you have a special item you like to sleep with?
• Have you ever imagined a life for your stuffed animals? Can you tell me about it?
This recommendation was written by: