If Waffles Were Like Boys
What You Need to Know:|
• If Waffles Were Like Boys is a terrific and funny story highlighting all the magic of boyhood.
• Charise Mericle Harper clearly has spent some time with young boys, her depiction of them is very authentic.
• This picture book is for the very young.
• If Waffles Were Like Boys would make a wonderful pregnancy and/or birth present for someone expecting their first
boy. It will explain a lot!
Charise Mericle Harper is obviously writing this book from experience. This terrific book celebrates young boys imagination and energy. As a mom of two boys and a former teacher I can tell you that, unfortunately, lots of time is spent telling young boys to sit still or to focus. This book is a wonderful departure from that line of thinking. If Waffles Were Like Boys honors all the things that make little boys so delightful.
"If shopping carts were like boys...grocery stores would be racetracks!
If peas were like boys...dinner plates would be playgrounds!"
This book will make your little man giggle and feel comfortable in his own skin; he will see himself throughout the pages. The illustrations are simple and hilarious, and they add so much humor to the story. The repetitive language will sooth young readers, and allow them to read the story back to you after only a couple of shared readings. This would make a lovely cuddle book before bed.
Charise Mericle Harper
2011, 40 pages
Excellent Read-Aloud, Exquisite Illustrations, Books for Boys, Bedtime
• Do you do like to imagine any of the same things that you see in this book? Which ones?
• Do you have any pretend games of your own that aren't mentioned in this book? What are they?
• Which page made you laugh the most? Why?
This recommendation was written by: