It's Raining Pigs & Noodles
What You Need to Know:|
• This book if filled with more than 100 hilarious poems.
• Amusing illustrations accompany every poem.
• Fans of Jack Prelutsky’s work will enjoy his other books, including My Dog May Be a Genius.
• In 1996, Prelutsky was the first winner of the Children’s Poet Laureate award.
• There are some challenging words like tandem, ambitious and persnickety.
This is not your traditional poetry. These poems are silly and very funny. I have read this book numerous times with my family, and we always have the same result - laughter, and plenty of it! Each page is filled with zany ideas, rhymes that flow easily off your tongue, and unexpected combinations of words and images. While there is humor in every poem, each one also has its own unique charm. Some are short (only 4 lines long) and some are displayed in a shape to match the subject of the poem. Many include concepts that kids can relate to, like brushing their teeth, cleaning their room or simply having a bad day. Others are completely outlandish, like “I’m Building a Bridge of Bananas”, a poem accurately described by its title. Because it doesn’t need to be read in one sitting, this book is a good one to leave out on a table so that you can enjoy a little bit each day. It is sure to provide endless entertainment.
I Am Shrinking*
I am shrinking, I am shrinking,
I am shrinking very fast,
and I’m thinking as I’m shrinking
that this day could be my last.
I don’t have a single inkling
why I’m suffering this fate,
Now I’m smaller than a cabbage.
is it something that I ate?
*A selection from It’s Raining Pigs and Noodles by Jack Prelutsky
2000, 160 pages
Excellent Read-Aloud, Humor, Poetry, Rhyming Language
• Do you have a favorite poem? Which one?
• If you were going to write your own poem, what subject would you choose?
• Pick one poem that you think sounds best read aloud.
• Which poem best describes your feelings or something that has happened to you?
This recommendation was written by: