What You Need to Know:|
• This book, about a mom desperate for five minutes alone, will entertain adults as much as their children.
• Some young readers may question why the mom would possibly want time to herself.
• Five Minutes’ Peace would make a great gift for any mom in your life. I gave it to mine!
Everyone needs a break even an elephant that is mother to three cute and talented elephant kids! Poor Mrs. Large has her hands full. She follows her children’s messy trail into the kitchen only to discover an even bigger disaster. Avoiding the chaos, she prepares a snack for herself and heads off for some quiet time in the tub. Lester, Laura and the Little One follow close behind, filled with questions. “Where are you going...?” “Why?” “Can we come? Mrs. Large has about a minute of peace before she’s joined in the bathroom by all three of her shadows. The kids are having a blast, but Mrs. Large has had no peace. She heads back downstairs to the kitchen for a last attempt at some quiet time, but she doesn’t quite get five minutes before the family is together again. Many will relate to Mrs. Large’s experience, told here in a fun and whimsical way. The elephants are adorable with their playful behavior, amusing facial expressions and colorful outfits. I especially liked Mrs. Large’s flowered shower cap and the three curlers she has underneath it. The pictures alone tell a funny story, but combined with the charming text, the result is a delight!
1986, 32 pages
Behavior, Excellent Read-Aloud, Family Life, Humor, Talking Animals
• Why did the mom want to be alone?
• Why do the kids follow her into the bathroom and then into the kitchen?
• Does your mom ever need time to herself? Why or why not?
• Do you like to have some time by yourself? What do you do during that time?
This recommendation was written by: