What You Need to Know:|
• The Busy Beaver is a brilliantly told, laugh out loud, cautionary tale.
• The illustations work in perfect tandem with the witty text to create a delightfully humorous story.
• Children and adults will equally enjoy this entertaining book.
I love finding a book that makes my entire family laugh out loud: The Busy Beaver is one of those books. Our protagonist, Beaver, is one careless little dude. He has dropped a log on a bear's head, rendered an entire bird family homeless, and actually gnawed on the leg of a moose, thinking it was a tree - and that's just for starters. Beaver's reckless behavior results in his getting hit in the head with a tree that he was so carelessly chewing, he didn't notice it was falling in his direction. Beaver winds up in the hospital. During his long stay as a patient, Beaver begins to see the error of his ways and sets about making amends.
Wrapped in a delightfully entertaining package, The Busy Beaver teaches an important message simply and subtly. This fable will teach the lesson that nothing good comes from being careless, without children ever realizing it. They will be too busy laughing at the hilarious story of this foolhardy Beaver. They will cheer Beaver on as he sets about making things right. Simply put, The Busy Beaver deserves a spot on your bookshelf.
* Image courtesy of Kids Can Press.
2011, 32 pages
Excellent Read-Aloud, Exquisite Illustrations, Humor
• Why do you think Beaver acted so carelessly?
• Have you ever acted carelessly? How?
• Did anything happen when you were careless? If so, how did you fix it?
• Do you think Beaver learned his lesson? Why or why not?
This recommendation was written by: