Poems I Wrote When No One Was Looking
What You Need to Know:|
• Poems I Wrote When No One Was Looking is a great collection of funny, modern, kid-sized poetry.
• The author, Alan Katz, while a relative newcomer to this genre, holds his own with the likes of Shel Silverstein
and Jack Prelutsky.
• Edward Koren's illustrations will look familiar to New Yorker-reading parents.
Alan Katz is seriously silly and so is his second collection of poetry. What he started in his first collection, Oops!, is continued merrily in Poems I Wrote When No One Was Looking. The poems are funny and very relatable for kids. There are poems about homework, siblings, parents and more. The poems will make your reader laugh and puzzle over the silly word play.
Poetry is a valuable genre, and kids poetry is an easy and accessible way to get kids interested in it. Poetry compilations like this one are also a valuable resource for the reluctant reader. They are simple, can be picked up and put down easily, and will make the reader laugh. Leave this volume conspicuously lying around - even in the bathroom - and I promise your reticent reader will be reading it in no time!
2011, 160 pages
Excellent Read-Aloud, Exquisite Illustrations, Poetry, Humor
• How is poetry different than stories? How are they the same?
• Which poem did you relate to the most? Why?
• Which poem was the funniest?
• Can you write your own poem? What will it be about?
This recommendation was written by: