What You Need to Know:|
• Mudball is an inspirational story about baseball, courage and a little bit of luck.
• Although the story is about real-life ball player, Andy Oyler, the incident described in the book remains a legend.
• You don't have to be a baseball fan to enjoy this book.
It's not easy being different. Especially when you're on a team and everyone is counting on you. Sometimes the easiest thing to do is give up. That's just what Little Andy Oyler is considering as he stands at home plate, ready to bat, during a rainy baseball game in 1903. He's been in a hitting slump and he's thinking that it might be time to quit. On top of that, he's the shortest guy in baseball, and, therefore, an easy target for taunts from angry fans. Well, it's a lucky thing that Andy didn't give up that day because if he had, he would have missed out on a magical moment in the mud. Somehow, as the rain gets heavier and the ground gets muddier, Andy manages to make contact with the ball. What happens next is quite a surprise. The ball goes missing and players from the opposing team get mad, but Little Andy stays focused and keeps running despite the chaos and the mud. The illustrations beautifully portray Andy's experience, the feelings of the players and the excitement of the game. Done in pencil and watercolor, they perfectly create the imagery of the time period during which the story takes place.
2005, 32 pages
Books for Boys, Folk Tales/Fables, History, Physical/Mental Differences, Sports
• What is your favorite sport to play?
• Do you ever feel different from the other kids on your team?
• What would you do if your teammates made fun of you?
• Do you believe Andy Oyler's home run really happened or is it just a legend?
This recommendation was written by: