Secrets of My Hollywood Life
What You Need to Know:|
• Life in Hollywood is the backdrop for this story of friendship, romance and self-discovery.
• This title is the first in the series which includes six books.
• The story includes a first kiss for the main character.
• There are many references to famous celebrities and popular brands.
• Nineteen "Hollywood Secrets" are revealed throughout the story.
For all those kids fascinated by the stars they watch on TV, here's a sneak peek into what their lives might actually be like. From the reference to "Access Hollywood" on page one, readers are immersed into the life of a fictional 16-year-old television star named Kaitlin Burke. She's followed by paparazzi, interviewed by the tabloids, hangs with celebrities like J. Lo, Reese, Sandy Bullock, Sara Jessica and John Travolta and shops at stores like Fred Segal. Despite all the excitement and glamour in her life, she's not happy. Her parents push her too hard, she has no time for herself and her co-star, Sky, is spreading horrible rumors about her. Kaitlin needs a break. So, where would you go for a break from reality? Believe it or not, Kaitlin decides to disguise herself as a girl named Rachel in order to enroll in a local public school with her good friend Liz. For once and for all, she wants to find out what it's like to be a regular kid. Well, Kaitlin learns that it's not all it's cracked up to be. Mean girls don't just exist on the Hollywood set, there are plenty of them in the real world too.
As Kaitlin figures out how to navigate life for her alter ego, Rachel, she also learns how to better manage her own version of reality. She finds that people like her for who she is, not what she has and, she even starts to stand up for herself. Even her love life improves when cute boy, Austin, falls for Rachel. It was easy enough for Kaitlin to slip into her new school, but getting out isn't going to be quite so smooth. Young girls are completely fascinated with this series. It is a quick read with fun "Hollywood Secrets" like, how to pose for photographers and what really happens at the awards shows. While there are a few mean girls, the main characters are kind, independent-thinkers who have their own style and interests. Kaitlin loves Star Wars and her friend Liz is constantly pulling off a funky wardrobe. Although Kaitlin has the inside scoop on Hollywood, her character seems to be a girl that most girls relate to.
2007, 256 pages
Cliques/Popularity, Friendship, Family Life, Identity, Romance, Self-Awareness/Discovery
• Why would a celebrity want to escape from the glamour of her everyday life?
• If you had been in Kaitlin's shoes, how would you have handled the conflict with Sky?
• Do Kaitlin's parents have her best interests in mind? What else could they do to help her?
• Which life would you choose - regular kid or celebrity?
• What makes Kaitlin and Liz's friendship so successful?
This recommendation was written by: