Bones and the Cupcake Mystery (series #3)
What You Need to Know:|
• Bones is an early reader mystery series from the prolific David A. Adler, the author of the Cam Jansen series.
• I think maybe Adler created Bones to appeal more to boys; the main character is Jeffrey Bones, a boy detective.
Cam Jansen is a girl.
• Bones and the Cupcake Mystery is a simple and funny story, appealing to the youngest independent readers.
• There are seven books in the series so far.
Bones is Jeffrey Bones, kid detective. He solves mysteries. The mystery at hand involves Not-Me Amy's missing spinach noodle cupcake. Even though the treat is no treat (spinach -- yuck!), Bones agrees to help find Amy's cupcake. Bones has detective powder, a walkie talkie and a code breaker. But none of those tools help Bones solve this mystery. Bones uses his powers of deduction and finally finds Amy's cupcake in her coat pocket!
Adler has written almost 200 books for children. I find this particular mystery series appealing because of the male main character. There is a lack of books for young boys, and Jeffery Bones will appeal to them. Adler's dry humor is also appealing, making the story a little more entertaining then most at this reading level. The illustrations are bright and friendly, rounding out this engaging book.
David A. Adler
Barbara Johansen Newman
2008, 32 pages
Excellent Read-Aloud, Friendship, Humor, Mystery, Books for Boys
• Have you ever had to solve any mysteries? Can you tell us about your mystery?
• If you haven't had a mystery to solve, can you imagine one? What would it be?
• If you were a detective, what tools would you use?
• What would your detective name be?
This recommendation was written by: