100 Great Poems for Girls
What You Need to Know:|
• This book is a compilation of poems that were gathered with girls in mind.
• A great birthday gift idea, 100 Great Poems for Girls will expose readers to a genre they may not normally pick up
on their own.
• Keep this one on the bookshelf and refer to it again and again.
• Read the poems out loud and encourage young readers to pick one to memorize.
Reading poetry with your kids is an invaluable exercise that helps to build strong readers and writers. 100 Great Poems for Girls is a great place to get started. The poems vary in length and difficulty and are organized by category. Topics include Nature, Imagination, Inspiration, Animals, Nursery Rhymes, Limericks and Tongue Twisters, and Fun and Nonsense. Readers are introduced to classics by Robert Frost, William Wordsworth, Walt Whitman, and many other well-known poets. They will also find silly entries like "Fuzzy Wuzzy Was a Bear" by Anonymous. The range of the selections, from "Little Miss Muffet" to "The Road Not Taken", should attract readers of different ages and interests. Beyond the educational value, sharing poetry is a gift to pass on from generation to generation so don't miss this opportunity to engage with and inspire young readers. The memories will last a lifetime!
2011, 208 pages
Poetry, Reference, Rhyming Language
• Which poem is your favorite? Which is your least favorite?
• Why is it important to memorize poetry, not just read it?
• Does the length of the poem matter? Does it have to be long to be a good poem?
• Do poems have to rhyme?
• What makes these poems especially appropriate for girls?
This recommendation was written by: