|Daisy Dawson on the Farm (series #5)
|What You Need to Know:
• Daisy Dawson is a recent and terrific addition to the early chapter book category of children's literature.
• We have placed Daisy Dawson in our READER JR reading level, a safe place for newly independent readers.
However, it does have some sophisticated vocabulary, so do check in with your young reader.
• This is the fifth Daisy Dawson book. They do not have to be read in order; they are stand alone stories.
• Little girls will have a good role model in Daisy, who is brave, kind and spunky.
• There is a terrific message of perseverance in this story.
|Sweet Book Summary:
I really love this early chapter book series. Steve Voake has created something very special in Daisy Dawson. It is a chapter book for young readers that inspires excellent character development, has a well designed plot, enriching vocabulary, and story elements that teach kindness and friendship. All of this is very rare indeed in "early" chapter books. This series is the quintessential example of books that do not dumb things down for children, but rather, it expects more of your readers, encouraging their growth.
As in all of the Daisy Dawson adventures, Daisy's special talent is that she can communicate with all the animals around her. In this latest installment, Daisy is trying to help the farm animals. The farm is in the middle of a drought. The duck pond has dried up, and the ducks and the newts have been displaced. The other animals are all bored and hot. The farm is no longer a very inviting place. Daisy leads a charge to find water. After a few mishaps, the skies finally open up and give them much-needed rain. All is well on the farm again.
I really like the gentle nature of these stories. I especially appreciate the importance Voake places on friendship and kindness toward your neighbor and nature. Any child listening to or reading this story will learn that it often pays to continue to try and not give up. The reader will learn about the value of perseverance.
|Author: Steve Voake Illustrator: Jessica Meserve Published: 2012, 96 pages
Themes: Extraordinary Language, Humor, Exquisite Illustrations, Animals, Adventure, Determination
|Sweet Discussion Questions:
• How have you helped a friend?
• Have you spent any time on a farm? What do you like or dislike about farms?
• Have you ever worked really hard at something? Were you successful? What happened?
• If you could talk to any animal, which would it be?
• What do you think that animal would have to say?
• Have you ever had to do something that was so hard that you wanted to give up? What was it? Did you
keep on trying? What was the result? Did you eventually succeed?
|This recommendation was written by: Melissa Y.
|Support Independent Book Shops: Click Here to Buy this Book on IndieBound