Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs: As Retold by Mo Willems
What You Need to Know:|
• Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs: As Retold by Mo Willems, is a hilarious, original re-telling of the classic fairy-tale.
• Only the ingenius mind of Mo Willems could come up with this creative take on Goldilocks and the Three Bears.
• Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs: As Retold by Mo Willems, will make a fantastic, funny read-aloud.
In this clever re-telling of the old classic Goldilocks tale, three dinosaurs (Papa, Mama, and some other dinosaur who happened to be visiting from Norway) decide to go out. But before they leave, they meticulously make their beds, fix their chairs and leave delicious bowls of chocolate pudding (of various temperatures) on the table....for no reason (wink, wink). Mama Dinosaur mentions, as she leaves the house:
"I sure hope no innocent little succulent child happens by our unlocked home while we are...uhhh...someplace else!" (wink, wink again)
As no reader will be too shocked to learn, a little girl named Goldilocks shows up and lets herself into the dinosaur’s house. Goldilocks does everything we have come to expect of her; she eats the pudding, she sizes up the chairs and opts for the bed. But Goldilocks comes to the slow conclusion that she is in the wrong house (and wrong story!) and hightails it out of there before the hungry dinosaurs can come back and eat her!
I have come to expect the most hilarious and creative storytelling from Mo Willems, and he doesn't disappoint with Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs: As Retold by Mo Willems. The entertaining and clever ideas that spill out of him, paired with his fantastic illustrations, which only make these stories funnier, are truly amazing.
This would be a perfect multi-age read-aloud. Little kids will just love the new spin on an old tale and older kids will enjoy the tongue-in-cheek humor. They will feel like they are "in" on the joke. I can't recommend this storybook enough! It's a perfect holiday gift.
Adults will enjoy reading it just as much as the kids. That is what makes Mo Willems' humor so special: it is appealing to a wide variety of ages and is never at the expense of others. His humor never, ever hurts others or makes fun of anything. This is such a nice example for kids of all ages.
2012, 40 pages
Humor, Dinosaurs, Exquisite Illustrations, Fairy Tales
• Which way did you like this story better, with dinosaurs or bears? Why?
• How did the author, Mo Willems, make this story so funny?
• What parts made you laugh? Why?
• What do you think of Goldilocks? Do you think she is silly for just walking into people's houses? Why or why not?
• Can you think of a fairy-tale that you would like to re-tell? What is it?
• How would you write your tale differently? Would it be funny or scary?
This recommendation was written by: