Lulu and the Duck in the Park
What You Need to Know:|
• Lulu, a third grader, has some tense moments at school when she tries to rescue a duck egg that is about to hatch.
• Told in five simple chapters, this story is a great introduction to chapter books.
• Charming black and white illustrations on almost every page will help readers follow along with the story.
• With the focus on school, Lulu and the Duck in the Park is a great selection to keep on a classroom bookshelf.
• Kids everywhere will relate to this story, but because the author, Hilary McKay, lives in England, readers will find
some details that reflect that part of the world.
• This book is the first in a new series. Book two, Lulu and the Dog from the Sea will be published in March, 2013.
Lulu loves animals, and everyone knows it. She has quite a collection at home because, luckily for her, she has a mother whose philosophy on pets is "The more the merrier." School is another story altogether. There is a pet guinea pig in her classroom, but Lulu's 3rd grade teacher, Mrs. Holiday, prefers her animals in the wild. In fact she goes so far as to say that if anyone brings another pet into the classroom, the guinea pig will be banned from Class Three. So, you can imagine Lulu's dilemma when she sees a poor duck egg in need of rescuing. Should she take the egg back to the classroom and risk the wrath of Mrs. Holiday?
Early readers will connect with sweet, compassionate Lulu and her intense love of animals. They will also relate to her classic elementary school experiences, like dealing with a strict teacher, learning about perimeters, and reading Harry Potter. There are examples of how to be a good friend, how to behave properly in class, and how to appropriately handle a difficult situation. Readers will find satisfaction in an ending that resolves smoothly and happily.
2012, 104 pages
Animals, Behavior, Compassion/Empathy, Friendship, School
• How would you describe Lulu? What is she famous for?
• What would you like to be know for?
• Does Lulu do the right thing when she takes the egg?
• What about Mellie - was it a good idea for her to keep Lulu's secret?
• Would you like to be friends with Lulu and Mellie? Why or why not?
• What do you think of Mrs. Holiday? Would you like to have her as your teacher?
This recommendation was written by: