What You Need to Know:|
• Little Raccoon's New Day is a sweet, easy picture book to share with your young reader.
• With a lot of strong literacy aides, beginning readers will be reading the story on their own quickly.
• This goal of this book is to raise awareness for the Pajama Program.
Little Raccoon's New Day is a delightful, optimistic story about a little racoon who wakes up one day to rain, and despairs it will rain forever. His forest friends all reassure him that the rain is just temporary and soon the sun will shine again. The overarching theme of community support and the resilience of the little racoon will be very relatable for beginning readers. Who doesn't know a pre-schooler who can't relate to a little moodiness or disappointment?! The idea that rain is hard, but there is always the possibility of a rainbow to look forward to, will be very comforting for a child.
Little Raccoon's New Day is also chock full of things to aid in the acquisition of literacy. It has strong picture cues, familiar sight words and text variation so that certain words stand out. This last aid will allow even the youngest reader to memorize those words and feel as if they are reading right along with you.
Finally, one of the things I love most about this book, its very existence is to raise awareness for a very important organization called the Pajama Program, which delivers warm pajamas and books to children in need. A portion of the proceeds of this book will be donated to help fund this important, worthy cause!
Judith K. Campbell
2015, 26 pages
Feelings, Animals, Talking Animals, Community
• Have you ever felt sad about something?
• What was it? How did you handle it?
• Did anyone help you through your sadness? Who?
• Is there any way you could help the Pajama Program? How?
This recommendation was written by: