|What You Need to Know:
• A Birthday for Bear is a continuation of Bear and Mouse's story that started in A Visitor for Bear. It is just as
enjoyable and gives the same fine example of friendship and it's many benefits.
• It is a well-written, laugh out loud romp of a story.
• The illustrations are equally as gorgeous as the language.
• This is a wonderful read-aloud for your younger readers.
• This book has been nomintated for a 2009 Cybil Award. Please click the Cybils link on the left side of the page to
learn more about the Children's and Young Adult Bloggers Literary Awards (Cybils).
• The adult reader will enjoy this entertaining story as much as the young reader.
|Sweet Book Summary:
Bear and Mouse are back! This time Bear is not interested in celebrating his birthday. He would quite like to be left alone and just be able to clean his house, like he always does on his birthday. However, Mouse has a different idea. And if you have read the hilarious precursor to this book, A Visitor for Bear, you know Mouse is quite persistent. Mouse does not give up easily. After a series of amusing tries, Mouse eventually convinces Bear of the merits of celebrating and sharing his birthday with a friend. How lucky are we, the readers, who get to go along for the ride.
And kudos to Candlewick, the publisher, for publishing this in a much more inexpensive package than the first. A Visitor for Bear is a hardcover picture book and is well worth the money. But this second adventure is in a Learn to Read-size book, which makes it less expensive and more attractive to a larger audience of young readers. For example, a newly independent reader will be very comfortable picking this book up and won't look at it as their little brother or sister's picture book. It is also extremely well-written, which is tricky to do in the Easy Reader genre. It is a fabulous and funny read aloud, too.
|Author: Bonnie Becker Illustrator: Kady MacDonald Denton Published: 2009, 56 pages
Themes: Friendship, Animals, Excellent Read-Aloud, Exquisite Illustrations, Extraordinary Language
|This recommendation was written by: Melissa Y.
|Support Independent Book Shops: Click Here to Buy this Book on IndieBound