|What You Need to Know:
• 11 Birthdays is a terrific read!
• My nine year old daughter and her 8 year old best friend LOVED it (and so did I:).
• Wendy Mass has written a pile of books, all look better than the next! They have all been recommended to me
by very different sources. My to-be-reviewed pile grows...
• It is realistic fiction with a twist - great alternative for kids who aren't into all the fantasy fiction on the market. But
the twist (time travel) is interesting enough and very believable.
• Mass has really nailed her characters and written them very honestly; I truly felt like I was in middle school again!
|Sweet Book Summary:
Amanda and Leo have celebrated their birthdays together every year since they were born on the same day and in the same hospital. Until their tenth birthday. On that fateful birthday, Amanda overhears Leo diss the whole joint birthday party thing, trying to be "cool" in front of the other boys in the grade. This sets off a year-long stand-off between the two friends. When the morning of their 11th birthday dawns, Amanda is depressed. She moves through the motions, but without heart. Lots of things go wrong, and she goes to bed even more dejected, looking forward to the next day when her birthday will finally be over. However, she wakes up and it's her birthday all over again! This happens again and again. A couple days in, Leo and Amanda realize it's happening to both them. The answer lies in their family names and a feud that spans 100 years and a woman named Angelina, who appears and disappears at will, it seems.
Mass' strength lies in the realistic story (time travel and all) she tells and and the very real characters she draws. Pre-teens and young teens alike, will see themselves in these characters and their struggles and likely relate it to their own lives.
|Author: Wendy Mass Illustrator: N/A Published: 2009, 272 pages
Themes: Adventure, Friendship, Mystery, Family Life, Growing Up
|Sweet Discussion Questions:
• What do you think about the girls' friendship?
• Why would it be fun to have a twin or be part of a triplet or quadruplet?
• When might it be hard to have that kind of a sister or brother?
• When would it be better to be a child of multiple birth? Why might it be easier if they were identical, fraternal? Why
• Do you think it is a good idea to make fun of a friend just to make yourself look cool? Why do you think someone
might behave that way? Would you?
• Do you think it might be fun to celebrate your birthday several days in a row? Why/why not?
• When would it be a good thing to be able to relive a day?
• If you could relive a day, which day would you choose and why?
• Have you ever felt sad or dejected? What do you do to feel better? How do you shake your mood and get into a
• Do you have suggestions for others to make them feel better, even if you have never felt sad? What are they?
• Have you ever wanted to disappear? When would be a good time to make yourself disappear? Do you think you
might miss something if you disappeared?
• Why is it better to face things and not runaway from problems?
|This recommendation was written by: Melissa Y.
|Support Independent Book Shops: Click Here to Buy this Book on IndieBound
So i got pretty far into the book and said OMG it is the best book ever! then i finished it and told every person i know YOU HAVE TO READ 11 BIRTHDAYS!!!!!!