|Henry and Mudge and the Starry Night
|What You Need to Know:
• Henry and his dog Mudge enjoy a family camping trip in this book.
• If your reader enjoys Henry and Mudge, there are more than 25 books about these special characters.
• The first Henry and Mudge book was published in 1987. Henry and Mudge and the Starry Night is the 17th in the series.
• The author, Cynthia Rylant is a Newbery Medal winner.
• The Henry and Mudge books are often used in school lesson plans to help build students’ word recognition.
• There is also a theater production featuring Henry and Mudge.
|Sweet Book Summary:
Henry and Mudge will make readers feel safe and secure. Boy and dog keep each other company and comfort each other when needed. Mudge may be a little sloppy – and slobbery – but he is clearly Henry’s best friend. Even his size – he’s as big as Henry – creates the image that he is somehow more special than the average dog. Henry’s parents are knowledgeable, warm and caring. The relationships seem loving and comfortable, and they all enjoy spending time together. The detailed illustrations will also help newly independent readers to follow along with the story. Among the many books available at this reading level, Henry and Mudge stands out. Readers will connect to these characters and want to revisit them again and again - I know my son did!
It’s summertime and Henry and his dog, Mudge, are going on their annual camping trip with Henry’s mom and dad. Henry is excited to be outdoors and is looking forward to seeing all of the interesting animals. He does worry, though, that he might see a bear. As they hike to the campsite, Henry is very observant. He notices the fish, the deer and a waterfall. Mudge does more smelling than seeing, but he has fun too. The family enjoys some music, thanks to dad and his guitar, and a beautiful view of the stars. Together, they keep each other safe and sound with not a bear in sight.
|Author: Cynthia Rylant Illustrator: Sucie Stevenson Published: 1999, 48 pages
Themes: Animals, Family Life, Friendship, Overcoming Fears
|Sweet Discussion Questions:
• Why are Henry and Mudge such good pals?
• What types of special trips do you take with your family?
• What types of things like camping or playing an instrument, do your parents do well?
• Name some things that you notice when you’re outdoors? Which are your favorite?
• What comforts you when you’re scared – a pet, stuffed animal, etc? Why does it make you feel better?
• From looking at the cover, what do you think this book will be about?
|This recommendation was written by: Melissa G.
|Support Independent Book Shops: Click Here to Buy this Book on IndieBound