|What You Need to Know:
• Stars is a lyrical tale that will excite the imaginations of your junior philosophers.
• Stars will have your children contemplating the world and their place in it.
• This extraordinary book would make a wonderful gift, especially for a newborn.
|Sweet Book Summary:
While Stars is an ode to all things celestial, it is also a contemplative and philosophical book about life - as seen through a child's eye. The book muses about the stars in the sky, the stars in a field of flowers, and the wisdom of keeping a star in your pocket for those grey days when you aren't feeling so shiny. I think the strength of this picture book team - Mary Lyn Ray and Marla Frazee - is that they take some pretty big concepts and put them in perfectly child-sized packages. It is as though they are still very in touch with the children inside themselves.
The best of children's literature helps children understand the world and recognize their place in it; Stars is that kind of book. Its understated text and beautiful illustrations will keep even the youngest children engaged and will have them contemplating things much larger than themselves. It will undoubtedly lead to wonderful flights of imagination and lively discussions, from the vastness and mysteriousness of stars to talking about how to navigate a bad day. This is a book for all ages and all seasons.
|Author: Mary Lyn Ray Illustrator: Marla Frazee Published: 2011, 40 pages
Themes: Excellent Read-Aloud, Exquisite Illustrations, Feelings
|Sweet Discussion Questions:
• What do you see when you look at the stars?
• Do you see stars around you - other than the ones in the sky? Where?
• If you put a star in your pocket, how would it make you feel?
• Do you think you can wish upon a star? What would you wish for?
|This recommendation was written by: Melissa Y.
|Support Independent Book Shops: Click Here to Buy this Book on IndieBound