|What You Need to Know:
• Vote for Me! is a timely satire about our election process.
• Vote for Me! can be a primer of information in this election season, or just an entertaining read-aloud.
• While the author uses the Democratic and Republican Party symbols as the main characters, he does not take
• Young readers will enjoy the lively, Mo Willems-style illustrations.
• Cynical (and not so cynical!) adults will enjoy this book just as much as young readers, just perhaps for different
|Sweet Book Summary:
Vote for Me! is a timely and spot-on satire illustrating our political process. In this very simple picture book, first-time author Ben Clanton, skewers our politicians and our political procedures in what can only be described as a true story. I wish I could say it's an exaggeration of the process, but unfortunately, the story he tells is all too true.
Both Elephant and Donkey are running against each other for an unnamed office. Both candidates pull out all the stops to get the vote. They flatter their constituents, they insult their opponent, they make election promises and sling mud at each other (actual mud - hilariously). But, while Elephant and Donkey are so busy hashing it out, The Independent Mouse steals the election and wins.
This story is quite well-timed, in these last few weeks leading up to the United States Presidential election. Vote for Me! can serve as a spring board for a conversation about current politics with older children. It can also serve as a realistic introduction to the political process. The youngest reader will recognize the consequences of bad behavior, even if they don't understand the election connection.
|Author: Ben Clanton Illustrator: Ben Clanton Published: 2012, 40 pages
Themes: Government, Humor, Behavior, Animals, Exquisite Illustrations
|Sweet Discussion Questions:
• Who would you vote for Elephant or Donkey? Why?
• Do you know what election is coming up really soon in the US?
• Do you know what a political party is? If so, what political parties do we have in the US?
• What do you think are important qualities for a political candidate?
• Do you know the names of any of the political candidates running for office in the US right now?
• If you could run for office, what office would you run for? Why?
• What changes would you make if you were elected?
|This recommendation was written by: Melissa Y.
|Support Independent Book Shops: Click Here to Buy this Book on IndieBound