|What You Need to Know:
• Lulu loves animals, so when she spots a stray dog while on vacation with her family, she sets her sights on making
friends with it.
• Charming black and white illustrations on almost every page will help readers follow along with the story.
• The focus is on Lulu, her family and her best friend, Mellie, so there aren't too many characters to remember.
• This book is the second in the series. Book three, Lulu and the Cat in the Bag will be published in Fall 2013.
• Book one, Lulu and the Duck in the Park was a Junior Library Guild Selection.
|Sweet Book Summary:
What more could you ask for than a vacation with your best friend? That's just what's in store for Lulu and Mellie. The 7-year-old cousins are spending a relaxing week in a cottage by the sea with Lulu's parents and their dog, Sam. When they arrive at the house, however, they discover an unexpected surprise. A stray dog, known as "the dog from the sea", is there to greet them - and steal some of Sam's dog food. Instead of upsetting Lulu, who absolutely adores all animals, the dog's behavior intrigues her. She feels sorry for him and decides she wants to get to know him better.
While everyone else plans a week of reading, exercising and kite flying, Lulu is determined to make friends with the dog from the sea, and maybe, just maybe, bring him home. Little does she know it, but she and Mellie are going to need some rescuing too. On the last night of their trip, the girls decide to sneak out to fly Mellie's kite. As you might expect, things don't go exactly as planned. Luckily, the dog from the sea is nearby and he knows just what to do.
Lulu and Mellie are the sort of friends who treat each other with kindness and consideration. They may not always agree or even like to do the same things, but they compromise, share and help one another. The family relationships are warm and caring, and the animals play an important role in their lives. In fact, the dogs feel just as human as the humans! They seem to have a mutual understanding of each other's needs, so it is quite fitting that when the dog from the sea rescues Lulu and Mellie, they turn around and rescue him right back! Filled with vivid descriptions, a little suspense and emotion, and a touch of humor, Lulu and the Dog from the Sea is a sensitive and compassionate story that delivers a tremendous value for an early chapter book.
|Author: Hilary McKay Illustrator: Priscilla Lamont Published: 2013, 112 pages
Themes: Animals, Behavior, Compassion/Empathy, Family Life, Friendship
|Sweet Discussion Questions:
• What types of family vacations do you like best?
• If you were going to set a goal for your next vacation, what would it be?
• Name the best and worst vacation you've ever taken.
• Which of the characters are you most like? Would you rather read, exercise, make a kite or play with a dog?
• Did the girls do the right thing, going outside at night, without an adult? What would you have done in their situation?
• Why do the people from the town want to capture the dog from the sea?
• What makes the dog from the sea such a special animal?
• Do you think that the Dog from the Sea would be happy, living with Lulu and her family?
|This recommendation was written by: Melissa G.
|Support Independent Book Shops: Click Here to Buy this Book on IndieBound